~reflections~musings~inspirations~insights~and life lessons learned by one who is
whole-heartedly, steadfastly, firmly in HIS grip~

Romans 1:6 "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..."


Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Never Feed a Stray Dog?

My sister-in-law called me yesterday and asked that I come in at 7 this morning to work the register at the cafe.  Good thing I did because it was crazy busy!  We had several people pick up their pre-ordered Thanksgiving goodies, but there were tons of call in orders as well as a packed house. I love it when it is like that... time flies and it seems I am energized at the end of the day.

I was just finishing up a "to-go" order when a young man walked in and asked if he could get a glass of water or something to drink. As I headed to the drink machine he said, "Uh, mam, I don't have any money." I told him that was fine, it was no charge.  As I handed him the water I noticed he looked like he had been on the loosing end of a fight.  He might have been a little "under the influence" but I threw caution to the wind and asked if he was hungry. Of course, he was.  I told him I'd buy him lunch and he could have what ever he wanted.  I quickly ran through the days specials and he ended up with pork loin, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, a roll and some coffee.

We were an hour away from closing and business had slowed down considerably.  That's when it happened... people were watching this guy like they were afraid of him... like he might rob us or just keep coming in for free food. You know the look... the less than desirable, non-paying customer.  Oh well, I thought, no one was gonna go hungry on my watch, not when I had a couple extra dollars in my purse anyway.

That's when I got the advice, "Never feed a stray dog."

I responded, "Sure you do...especially this time of year!"

"This guy might be coming around over and over again wanting a hand out. He might be a crack head or something like that... he might even try to rob the place."

"Ah, but wouldn't it be great if we were the ones who fed his body and his soul?  So what if he had been beaten up (possibly by his drug dealer)? Could we not be the hands of Jesus, just this once? Can we find an opportunity to tell him about our Savior...his Savior?"

As I was leaving the cafe I watched him get in the car with two older women and ride off, left overs in his to-go box. I never had the chance to say one word about Jesus...but I sure hope through my actions he got a taste of the difference God makes in our lives.

Jesus came to seek and save the lost... the undesirables of His time... of all time!  He dined with sinners and 'publicans.' He fed the hungry. He healed the lame, the blind, the sick in body and spirit.  If we are called to be like Him, why would we not feed a wondering, beat-up, skinny young man in hopes that he too will one day truly experience all that Jesus has to offer.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
WHO SO EVER... 

If we, as Christians, act like the world...how in the world will the world ever see the difference He makes?

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by...I look forward to seeing you again!